Because of differences in the physiology of dogs and cats, they metabolize essential oils differently and some extra precautions need to be taken when using essential oils on or around cats. Therefore, there are separate sections of information for dogs and cats.
But one thing is the same for both dogs and cats: Essential oils can give their body systems powerful cellular support, thereby helping them to respond better to and recover faster from health challenges.
The purity and quality of the essential oils you use matters! Be sure your essential oils are truly pure therapeutic grade and do not contain synthetics, additives, or artificial ingredients of any kind; are not from plants exposed to pesticides and/or herbicides or grown in soils containing toxins; and do not contain chemicals because they were improperly distilled. Bear in mind that our pets are far more sensitive to all of these factors than we are.
Know your oils, know your source, know who you are purchasing them from and know the company who makes them. You truly get what you pay for.
Some pets are more sensitive to essential oils than others. And some dogs need more use of FCO dilution than others. If there is sign of irritation, apply even more FCO over area. This will help soothe and slow down absorption of the essential oils. If essential oils are given internally, check for signs of gastro-intestinal upset such as vomiting.
About the use of Fractionated Coconut Oil (my preference and recommendation over other carrier oils like Olive Oil, Canola Oil, vegetable oils…) – It is not that the use of Fractionated Coconut Oil actually “dilutes” the effectiveness of the oil – it does a few things that are of benefit in using essential oils.
- It combines better than any other carrier oil with essential oils as it has had some of the fatty acids removed.
- It slows down the absorption of the essential oils into the tissues and avoids tissue sensitivities and also overwhelming our pets with too fast absorption.
- It keeps the oils from dissipating into the air as fast and enables more of the oils to be absorbed into the skin.
- Fractionated Coconut Oil does not go rancid as all other carrier oils can and do. Rancid oils may produce damaging chemicals and substances that may not make you immediately ill, but can cause real harm over time.
- It will not clog skin pores as other carrier oils do.
- It is nourishing to the skin.
Another great product to use with essential oils to make a salve with is the Solid VIRGIN Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil. It has many health supportive properties for skin, hair, digestion, supportive of healthy immune response and healthy inflammatory response. You can find this at places such as health food stores, Costco, Walmart, better grocery stores and online.